Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Day 7 - July 27 (sorry for the delay in posting...)


Part 1 - I didn’t get to go to BG (blossom garden) today – brayden woke up with a sore throat, headache & stuffed up head.  Taylor doesn’t feel well either & stayed back at the VH too.  Many of the team members are starting to have the same symptoms – Alyssa has been stuffy since the 2nd dayL she’s been a real trouper and always smiling and ready to go!  What a blessing it has been to get to know everyone better on the team.
So… while back at the ranch – Debbie & I got some laundry done – yay! And  I finished reading 2 books that I had started about 2 months ago. I had read them a few years ago but since Tom Davis is going to be our keynote speaker in November at the orphan conference, I wanted to re-read them. I’m so glad I did – I love his books – definitely recommend you read them.  “Red Letters – living a faith that bleeds” and “Fields of the Fatherless”.  While refecting back to my post yesterday about as Christians and now knowing first hand of the plight of the orphan in jamaica – I thought that I would share a bit of what I read in “Fields of the Fatherless” that really resonated with me and thought it might too with you – so, here’s a little excerpt from the chapter: The Old Enemy: Fear – “ THE PADLOCK ON OUR COMPASSION: FEAR – There’s a common, very human reason for our resistance.  You see, the reason we don’t help the beggar on the road, or the single mother we know who is working herself to death, is the same reason we won’t help the orphan dying on the other side of the world.  We flee from the need in front of us because of our ancient, ruthless foe, fear. – When we see or hear about the atrocities happening to children in America or other countries, the fear of our lives being rudely interrupted enters in the equation of our attempts to help. We think, what if I became too involved? – We are afraid of changing what we’ve always done.  Our lives have become comfortable and manageable.  If loving the stranger, the widow and the poor have never been a part of our lives in the past (even if we know it should be) it’s much easier to keep on living the way we always have…The idea may cross our minds to sign up to take a meal to the elderly widow who broke her hip last week.  But then maybe we rationalize our lack of follow-through by telling ourselves someone else will do it. – What if these impulses are from God? What kind of joy might we be cheating ourselves out of? – Ironically, it turns out that fear is what prevents us from growing and changing.  Fear wants nothing to change; fear demands the status quo.  And the status quo leads to death. – Who wants the status quo?  It is stagnant and stymied living.  On the other hand, compassionate involvement is vibrant and fulfilled living.”
The moment in my life that I realized that fear was starting to hold me back was the moment that I decided that it would no longer!  It was about 8 years ago when we were praying about adopting for the first time and a dear friend of mine said to me “Is your faith stronger than your fears or your fears stronger than your faith?”  it was at that moment that I was determined to no longer let my fears hold me back.  Since then, God has totally changed our life – never in a million years did I think that I would adopt 2 times from china, start an orphan ministry (soon to be non profit) and go on 2 mission trips so far…  I love those dot, dot, dots… because I know I have no “plans” for my life but God does.  I’m just excited to do what He has for me to do –whatever that may be – I’m available and do my best to be obedient to His will.  My prayer for you is that you too will put your fears aside and if you are feeling compelled to do something for “the least of these” that you will do it.

Part 2 – the team returned from BG around 2:30 and they were wiped out!  I wished so bad that I could’ve been there to help.  We teach a bible lesson with the schoolers,  do worship and other “filler” activities.  The Aunties have them in their chairs from 9-12 with a snack half way through – next to impossible to keep them entertained/occupied for that long.  Usually a handful of us are with the schoolers and the rest split up between the toddlers & infants to help the Aunties J
We were invited to the “Fish Fry Fundraiser” at the Melody House – MH is a private home so I think they are doing fundraisers or willing to take donations more than others do.  It was an interesting night – enjoyed some of the entertainment of dancing and a fashion show.  Since it was a public event, we were able to take some pictures of the girls for personal non-public use – yay!  Thankfully, I was able to pry Brayden (Taylor & Debbie made it too) out of bed to come with us to get some fresh air and I think it helped.  I’m hoping everyone is  better tomorrow – (Saturday) we are planning on going to YS Falls for some fun and relaxation.

No comments: